1. Munchies are caused because THC inhibits a cannabinoid receptor called CB1. This receptor is also involved in signaling the appetite-suppressing hormone Leptin. When CB1 is blocked, leptin doesn’t get activated.
2. It would take more than 800 joints to kill a person and the culprit would be carbon monoxide poisoning – not THC.
3. Paraguay is the largest producer of marijuana.
4. Marijuana was first used as a medicine in China in 1737 for reliving rheumatism pain and gout.
5. The first American law regarding marijuana required farmers to grow it for hemp. It was used for clothing, sails and rope.
6. Two of the Founding Fathers Thomas Jefferson & George Washington owned hemp farms. In fact, the Declaration of Independence was drafted on hemp.
7. In America, Marijuana is the #4 value crop and it generates a $36 billion market.
8. The Shaking History of Marijuana
- 1600’s – 1800’s Production of hemp is encouraged.
- 1907 The Pure Food & Drug Act required products with cannabis to be labeled.
- 1930’s Due to the Great Depression, the rising unemployment rates, the association of marijuana with Mexican immigrants, the government starts viewing the plant as a problem. In fact, 29 states outlawed it in 1939.
- 1940’s Studies and reports show marijuana is significantly less dangerous than people previously thought it with zero links to violence, sex crimes, insanity and addiction.
- 1970’s In ’72, the Shafer Commission recommends personal use of marijuana be decriminalized. Nixon rejects it and in response, 11 states decriminalize marijuana and nearly all states reduced penalties associated with the plant.
- 1990’s California legalizes the use of Medical Marijuana for patients suffering numerous illnesses including AIDS.
9. cigarettes vs Marijuana vs Coffee
cigarettes ~50 carcinogenic chemicals
Marijuana ~50 carcinogenic chemicals *+
Coffee 16 carcinogenic chemicals
* studies show smoking marijuana does not increase risk for lung cancer.
+ cigarettes have a 90% addiction rate, marijuana is less addictive than coffee.
10. You can only get high from the dried leaves of the female plant.
11. It was used as a truth serum by the US government during WWII. it was spiked in cigarettes and given to detainees to have them release intelligence information.
12. Vaporizing marijuana heats it p to near boiling, releasing THC but not burning the plant.
13. Marijuana is of unknown Mexican Spanish etymology. It replaced cannabis and hemp in the 1930’s.
Do these facts change your perception of marijuana?